Monday, November 02, 2009

Newton's Law of Gravity...

Day 2: Mumbai/Bombay


Hmm, what a day today has been. I was stranded in an elevator. Apparently the weight limit on the elevator had been exceeded with four people in the elevator. Of course the obvious occurred. The elevator started going up and then it slowed down and it then puttered itself to death. We got stuck between two floors and we had to break the door down... Literally. It was amusing... We tried to hit the switch to open the folding gate door so we could maybe climb out but it was to no avail. Finally, the "elevator repairman" arrived and hit this spot next to door with a wooden stick and magic! Only in a creaky elevator in India, where the outside humidity and temperature is 300F, do I manage to get stuck in an elevator for 25 minutes.

I did manage to get some grading in though...(no not in the elevator!) but I soon found that it's impossible to attempt this tedious task of checking Unit 1 assessments when all you want to do is jump in a pool and frolic about.

But guess what I did after grading....
I said guess!!!!
Yes, I'm still waiting for you to form a thought about what I did. 
Hmph!

Ok you win, I'll tell you...I found a gym and jumped into the pool! But for some miserable reason, properly hygienic reasons, I assume, the lifeguard on duty made me wear a swimming cap. I tried to evade him at first by just running and jumping into the pool... But the lifeguard called me over and kindly asked me to stop trapezing in the pool area.  It was a pink elastic-like thingy. I have never worn such a contraption on my head and it looked like I was wearing a pink condom. Blah. Buzz kill.

In addition to that, I decided to try my hand at bargaining while getting some vegetables...Sad to say I got overcharged for my chicu's. It's a fruit that I freaking love! But that's the Indian name for it sorry, in the US it is called Sapodilla and its native to southern Mexico, Central Ameica, and the West Indies. Yet, it is grown in huge quantities in India, and Mexico. Moving past the history lesson, I went to the man selling the fruit and asked for 5 chicu's. He picked up 5 after fondling each one for a bit and then said 20 rupees Madam. There was another farangi women standing next to me, who was bargaining herself and seemed to know the local method of things and so I asked her... if he was giving me a good price. She then turned to the Man and said give her 6 for 20..I was happy that I had gotten such a steal for such a great price... well that was until I got home and the maid told me that she gets 10 for 20 rupees... Hmph! I wont be attempting my bargaining skills again anytime soon. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home