Monday, October 26, 2009

Stolen Graces...

Well today has been a day of numerous changes. My teaching cohort has decided to go in favor of a new schedule which will give us teachers some free time during the day.. Hmm.. can this be so...? We are changing course from our jail-like existence. Nervous giggle. Gasp. Faint.

Besides the constant flurry of students who were confused and frustrated whilst waving their schedules frantically in my face grunting for help...somehow under the misunderstanding that I could read writing going in a pendulum-like movement. My day thus far has gone well.

Today I came upon quite the predicament. Since I work in an environment where if I leave something unattended it eventually goes missing, I have learned to be vigilant over the things I hold dear to my heart. Its either that or I bribe my dearest custodians to give me cabinets and a desk that locks. Considering I am naive and quite trustworthy I just throw my purse and other belongings into my desk, which has a central lock locking all the drawers. I then leave the rest of my artifacts in God's hands.

Now I have this one student in particular who is a known kleptomaniac. I have been understanding and I have been patient with his so called "obsession." Today in my Period 3 class he asked if he could sit at my desk and work. I usually allow students I trust to sit there, but the problem arises when a kid I know has trouble literally tattooed all over his body asking to sit at my desk. I of course being me said, "No problem!" insert fake enthusiasm  Considering the keys to my desk are around my neck and I could keep an eye on him I didn't think he could do that much damage... I should have bitten my tongue when I made such a ridiculous remark. But after 53 minutes of observing, I noticed he was trying to "jimmy" my central desk lock with a scissor. He was quite talented and if I had inhaled any more lead paint during infancy I would have missed it all together.

At the moment it's Period 5 and he's back in my class asking for permission to sit at my desk. I can't say NO, you are trying to break into my desk, since that would be ANTI-everything I learned in TFA. So the best I (a college graduate, mind you) could come up with was to just sit at my desk during my free period and pretend like I was doing work.
 I am too nice to say anything and too embarrassed to move all my belongings to another locker from my deskā€¦ since he is sitting right next to me.

Sigh, what I need to do is "Put my foot down"...as someone close to me would say... and stop being a pushover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home